Strawberry Lemon Cupcakes with strawberry syrup and dried fruit
Who doesn’t like strawberries? Bloody weirdos that’s who. Whilst we lament these unfortunately opinionated individuals let’s eat one of these. They’re sweet and creamy on top, but tart on the bottom, like the best of us. Oh and yes, they are some 3 packs for a £1 sweets on top there. Top notch confectionery.
- 16 oz butter
- 7 oz of caster sugar
- 300g of icing sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 8 oz self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 lemons
- Lemon extract
- 50 ml orange juice
- Strawberry laces (of any kind)
- Foam strawberries
- Dried strawberries
- Disposable icing bags with large (1.5cm diameter) star nozzle
This recipe makes about 12 cupcakes (The sponge is close to a basic sponge mix). Set the oven to 180 C
1) Combine the caster sugar and 8 0z of butter until all the sugar is incorporated
2) Add the eggs, flour, baking powder and the zest of both lemons and mix well
3) This will have produced a very tough mixture, that is alleviated with the subsequent addition of orange juice
4) Mix well then add 1/3 a bottle of lemon extract, and make sure to re-combine.
5) Divide the mixture (about a heaped soup spoon each) into 12 muffin cases (not cupcake!) in a DEEP muffin tin.
6) Bake at 180 C for about 20 mins. They will be slightly golden on top and will be very soft to the touch.
7) Leave to cool completely before icing!
8) To make the icing, reduce butter to room temperature. Quick hint: Add the butter to a bowl of luke warm water, it’ll equilibriate really quickly. Combine with the icing sugar. Add icing sugar if mixture isn’t stiff.
9) Add the packet of strawberry sweets to a pan on a medium heat. Add enough cold water just to cover.
10) Stir continuously until the sweets (mostly) dissolve and reduce. It will bubble if going successfully. Never stop stirring. Pour into a small ramekin and refrigerate for at least 30mins.
11) Add half of this mixture to the icing mix and re-combine.
12) Fill the icing bag (see future post) and pipe in a out-in spiral fashion
13) Using a pipette, spiral the gelatinous syrup around the top and then peak with a strawberry sweet!